Saturday, February 8, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 2/8/20

Hello.  Welcome to the Saturday Reading Wrap-up.  If you've been here before, you know how this goes.  If you're new, this is where I wrap-up all the book stuffs from the week before.  (For a complete list of all the books I've read this year, go here.)

It wasn't the best reading week with the DNFs (they always give me a sad), but hey, any week I finish at least one good book is a good week and this week I finished two.

This past week, I picked up a slew of new ebooks - 2 mysteries, fantasy, suspense, contemporary fantasy, urban fantasy, thriller.  Woohoo.  And I'm caught up with last month's ebooks.  Also woohoo.  Then yesterday, I was in town with time to waste, so I stopped by the thrift store.  Picked up 4 paperbacks and 2 hardcovers - two westerns, a mystery, two biographies, and a suspense.  So much to read... YAY!

Books Read:

 13) Blood in the Sand by Kelly Clayton (2/6/20) - Mystery*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated as far as reviews go.  Picked up for free after seeing a friend recommend it on FB.
Review: "Neat murder mystery with plenty of twists and turns with a little romance for added seasoning. Quite an enjoyable read."

12) The Christmas Cookie Shop by Ginny Baird (2/4/20) - Romance* - 5 stars. New to me and could probably use more reviews, but not totally underappreciated.  Free off the ENT newsletter.
Review: "Such a cute little holiday romance! I loved it."

DNFs:

2/5/20 - paranormal romance - free.  I liked the premise and the writing wasn't bad, but I started to dislike the heroine about two paragraphs into meeting her and I wanted the very likeable hero to run the hell away from her.

2/3/20 - suspense - Picked up during the thrift store's end of year 8/$1 sale.  I seriously wanted to like this book because I like the author, but try as I might, I couldn't.  Stopped 135 pages in, which shows you how much I tried.  But life's too short to force myself to finish books I'm not enjoying.

2/1/20 - mystery - 25c at the thrift store.  Meh.  It just wasn't doing it for me.  I totally wasn't feeling the mystery.  At all.

Currently reading... a paperback western from 1966 I picked up at the thrift store yesterday.  I needed something to read while I was waiting for my shot appt and I was between reading stuff at home, so I grabbed one of the books I'd just purchased and started reading in the doctor's office. 

What happened in your reading life last week?

1 comment:

  1. There were books listened to. I must go check my GR list to see how many. LOL I'm at 26 books so far, 6 ahead of schedule to meet my 200-book goal for the year. This week was slow for me, though. Only 3 books.

    24: Red Wolf (Shifters Unbound #10)

    25: Midnight Wolf (Shifters Unbound #11)

    Both by Jennifer Ashley, both 4.5 stars, both paranormal romances. They're the last novels in the series so far--new one coming later in March, I think. Anyway, there are two novellas left but they aren't available to read for free and don't have all that much to do with the overall series though they're good books. Anyway, this is a good series for PR readers.

    26: Love in the Afternoon (Dove Pond #1.5), Karen Hawkins. Magical realism, women's fiction/contemporary romance(?). My library finally acted on my recommendation to get this book in audio. LOVE IT! 5 stars. I haven't read any of Hawkins's other books but her Dove Pond series is captivating. THE BOOK CHARMER is the first in the series. A CUP OF SILVER LININGS comes out later this year. Adore these books. Listening to them is like sitting on a wide, front porch sipping sweet tea and listening to the breeze play in the magnolia trees, gently wafting the scent your way. Simplay magical. When the book budget allows, I'll be grabbing all of them for my permanent collection.

    Currently, I'm "reading" GOLDEN IN DEATH, by JD Robb. I have about 4 hours left so I'll finish it off today, most likely. This is the 50th full novel in the series. So far, 9+ hours in on Chapter 18 and I don't have a clue who the murderer is. Yay.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete