Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Simple Salmon Salad

Looking for a way to get more fish into your diet, but not exactly keen on fish?  Try this:

Simple Salmon Salad

2 frozen salmon fillets
1 can solid white albacore tuna
1/2 cup olive oil mayonaisse
1/4 tsp dill
salt and pepper to taste

Thaw fillets according to package directions.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Bake fillets for 20 minutes or until flesh flakes easily with a fork.  Cool slightly before transferring to sealable container.  Smush with fork while still slightly warm.  Refrigerate until cold.  (I do overnight.)  Drain tuna.  Place in container and smush with fork until fully incorporated with salmon.  Stir in mayo and dill.  Stir in salt and pepper to taste until everything is well combined.  Serve cold on bread, toast, crackers, or eat with a fork. 

Hubs likes his on toast with pickle relish.  He also puts a big dollop of salmon salad on a plate and eats it with crackers. 

Yeah, I know, mayo isn't exactly high up on the 'good for you' list, but if you use the olive oil kind, it's better for you than regular mayo.  Also, albacore tuna is better for you than regular tuna.

So far, Kraft makes the tastiest olive oil mayo I've tried.  I also use Starkist tuna. (Chicken of the Sea was disappointingly mushy.)  I don't use canned salmon because it's a pain in the butt, super salty, and kinda mushy.  Wallyworld has bags of salmon fillets at a fairly reasonable price.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.  I know we do.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of mayo or Miracle Whip, though we use it in tuna saled. I might try this using a balsamic vineger for a dressing, and maybe do it over shredded lettuce. I need to add salmon to my grocery list. :) I'm a big fan. LG not so much but he'll eat it once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete