Saturday, June 1, 2019

Satuday Reading Wrap-up - 6/1/19

Well, would ya look at that, it's a brand new month.  Here's what the reading week looked like for me...

I only finished one book, but it was an epic fantasy and kind of long.  Then I started an anthology and those are usually pretty hefty.  Now I'm reading a suspense.  Loads of reading, but not a lot of finishing.

Downloaded five new ebooks - a humorous novel, a historical mystery, a fantasy, and a  mystery.  Plus, I still have a mystery, two fantasies, a suspense, and a steampunk to read in addition to those new books.   Nine total again.  No new hardcopies.

Books read:

46) The Passage of Kings by Anant V. Goswami (5/26/19) - Fantasy*# - 3 stars.  New to me and few reviews.  Picked up for free off the Freebooksy newsletter.
No review.  But if you make me read all the way to the end, I have to leave a ranking.  Yeah, I know, I don't usually finish books under four stars.  It had four stars right until the end, when it didn't actually end.  It had a kind of 'see what happens next in the next book' message.  Nothing got wrapped up even a little, which lost it a star for me.   Even in an ongoing series, you've gotta have some kind of resolution of something.  I had a feeling this was going to happen about 85% of the way through the book when the author started introducing new characters in a different area of the world, but at 85%, you gotta finish the book.  Gah, and even if I was inclined to buy the next book, it ain't out yet.  Pisses me off no end.  Makes me want to go back and delete a star.  (But I won't because I felt bad enough leaving a 3 star ranking.)  Note to authors: Do not piss off readers this way.

DNF:
5/30/19 - Mystery.  It felt like the author was spending too much time trying to impress me with how snarky they could be.  Oh, I like me some snark, but it's gotta feel natural and this felt forced.

Currently reading...  A SF anthology from the 1950s.  About midway through, I took a break and dipped into the Kindle.  Which is where I DNF'd that book and then picked up one of the suspenses I had left to read.  So far, the suspense is pretty good.

What happened in your reading week?

1 comment:

  1. Finished LotR. Still as good as I remember, even with the racism and sexism. A product of its time.

    DNFd a mystery (I think?) with Poe as a character. I got soooo tired of the MC saying "How guilty I feel now" trying to raise tension in a humdrum novel. I'll put up with a bit of slow, but not fake angst, especially when it's obvious the only decent character in the whole mess has to die. Ick.

    ReplyDelete