Saturday, October 27, 2018

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 10/27/18

Well, if you came here expecting to read reviews and junk, I'm going to have to disappoint you.  I didn't actually finish any books this week.  I did finally decide to DNF that book I was reading last week, after only managing the gumption to read a couple pages here and there. 

DNF - 10/26/18 - SF.  I think it could be classified as 'new adult' since the MC was like 19 or something.  It wasn't a bad book, per se.  It just wasn't holding my interest.  And it wasn't exactly SF.  More like a 'here and now' kind of thing with aliens.  Kind of fun and a little snarky.  Probably the kind of SF I would write, but not exactly exciting my inner reader.  Probably why I don't write SF.

---------
Not sure what the week ahead will hold.  I did download what looks like it'll be a fun paranormal by a writer I've already read.  But my reading slump is paralleling my writing slump. 

On a different note, I thought I'd found a neat new noir-type mystery to read.  Then in the blurb, they made the MC sound like a doofus.  Bummer.  I like noir.  I do not like books that appear to be set up to make fun of the genre.  :shrug: 

What does your reading week hold?

4 comments:

  1. A spoofed noir doesn't sound like much fun.

    How far do you get on average into a DNF? I've found myself skimming to the end of several lately...I'll read the end, but it's definitely still a DNF if I'm skipping 30% of the book or more.

    I'm reading "The Folded Clock" by Heidi Julavits (found myself nodding along a few times as she talks about the writing life) and am about to pick up Eleanor Davis's "You & a & Bike & a Road" at the library. I'd requested that the library purchase it and then found myself suddenly 3rd in line to read it! Thinking the librarians had a go at it first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the book. Usually I read until it irritates me or bores me, then I set it down and try it again the next day. If it still irritates/bores me, I stop. Usually it's around 15%, but these last couple I made it past 50%.

      Those sound interesting. Thanks! LOL, yeah, it probably was the librarians. Good for you for requesting it and expanding its readership! ;o)

      Delete
  2. Okay, I have to admit that I wrote a spoof noir, but it was something of a homage to the genre with shades of paranormal woven in. Do you remember CAFE MIDNIGHT? I list is as a paranormal noir mystery. LOL

    Reading, or in my case, listening. I'm on the last book in the Fantasyland series. The series is okay and it filled in some otherwise empty time, though this last book is a meandering story and I'm only sticking with it because of a secondary plot line. Sort of makes me wish I had the digital version so I could skim ahead and be done. I'm in a reading slump too, though there are books coming out Tuesday and then next week (November) that I've been waiting for, though I just learned that one of them has a fairly large series plot arc cliffhanger and it'll be months (if not a year) before the next book comes out. I HATE when authors do that!!!!

    Can't help with any recommendations because nothing has blown my reading skirts up in quite awhile. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I don't mind a good spoof, but this seemed like it was making fun of the genre in a spiteful way. Cafe Midnight... I'm sure I read it. If I didn't, I'll have to rectify that.

      You'll have to share next week which new books you bought. Argh, I hate that, too!

      It's been a weird last quarter of the year so far. Here's hoping it'll get better for us. :hugs:

      Delete