Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Rambling

I woke up this morning thinking it was Monday.  Took me a bit to reset the brain and convince myself it wasn't. 

Saw someone this morning who'd misspelled the title of their own book in the marketing copy of a FB post.  Thankfully, the cover was spelled right.  Proofread, people.

So, I contacted my cover artist yesterday to let her know I was ready when she was.  She's jammed, so I gave her the option of pushing the UatB cover back.  It's not like I need-need it right this month.  Hell, if I don't get off my dead ass, I might not need it this year.  We'll see what she says. 

We took a walk yesterday.  It was only 48 degrees.  I am so not ready for that cold yet, especially considering it was in the 80s last week.  I bundled up in a turtle neck, a sweater, and a fleecy jacket.  I was even wearing gloves.  My core was comfortable, but my face and legs were chilly cold.  Bleh.  I guess I need to get back to exercising inside.

I DNFd another book yesterday.  Which kind of made me sad because it was in a series I had once enjoyed.  But the book was irritating the bejeezus out of me.  Life's too short to continue reading irritating things.  It was probably just me.  There's only so long I can continue reading a series before I'm just annoyed with it.  Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.  I had the same thing happen with The Cat Who series and with the Dresden Files series.  Which is probably why I stopped writing Once Upon a Djinn at four books.  Enough was enough for me.  Sorry to the readers who wanted more but writing more of those wouldn't have been a good thing for anyone.

Sitting and thinking about Ugly and the Beast, I realize the problems I was having were caused by a need to rewrite the thing.  I got off on a weird tangent and it was turning into a book I didn't want to write.  Do-over!  But not right now because I got the edits back for Unequal

I am so not ready to face the edits.  But I'm going to get ready because I need to get this book out this year.  I've made a commitment and I'm sticking to it.  So, suck it up, buttercup, and get your butt to work.  =op

That's enough rambling out of me this morning.  Comments?  Questions?  Whips to crack? 


1 comment:

  1. I'll crack a whip if you will! Revisions and edits just make me...stagnate when it comes to energy levels. :/ There are a few series that I've dropped because 1) they turned into the same plot and the author appeared to cut and paste scenes not only from book to book but in the same book; 2) the characters and/or plot became so outrageous (and Mary-Sueish) I could no longer suspend belief. Luckily, I have other series that I adore, continue to enjoy each new addition, and can reread multiple times. Granted, they are few and far between but I'm thankful for them. I, too, understand ending a series. I did that with Moonstruck. Luckily, I expanded the world and I can touch base with those original characters in other books because they are fan favorites.

    Okay, I need to get back to those stupid revisions. I need to rearrange (again!) and tweak what I did yesterday. It's not right and it's bugging the bejeebus out of me. Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete