Saturday, September 15, 2018

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 9/15/18

Hey, All.  It's time again for another Reading Wrap-up.  Woohoo.

I'm still reading books I have on the shelves rather than ones on my Kindle.  I was doing a pretty good about not downloading anything new, too, until a certain someone sent me the link for a free ebook that sounded awesome, so I downloaded it.  I also bought a bunch of books at the local thrift store.  Mostly romances, but a couple NF (non-fiction).

Anyway, here's how my reading week shook out:

66) My Life Among the Serial Killers by Morrison and Goldberg (9/13/18) - NF- 4 stars. 
Review: " Interesting. I picked this up strictly for research and it did it's job in that capacity."

65) Rascal by Sterling North (9/9/18) - Memoir - 5 stars.  New to me, but not underappreciated since it was first written in the '60s.  I've had this one one the shelf for years.  Glad I finally sat down and read it.
Review: "A nice, interesting true story about a boy and the year he spends raising a raccoon during WWI. It has some funny scenes and some touching ones. And it ends well. (No 'Old Yeller' ending. Thank goodness.) "

64) Secret of the Lost Race by Andre Norton (9/8/18) - SF - 4 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  I've also had this on the shelf for years.  I'm slowly making my way through all my unread Andre Nortons.
Review: "It was a good story, but gah! it just... you know... ended. And with a confusing paragraph. Maybe Ms. Norton intended to write more books in a series with this world, but I'm showing this as a single title. Which is sad. There should've been more."

---------
I'm currently reading one of the romances I bought.  It's set in Australia, which always was a favorite of mine when I was inhaling romances as a teen.  Eh, it's brain candy, but I need that after reading about serial killers.   

What about you?  Read anything interesting this week?  What's on the menu for the days ahead?

2 comments:

  1. I have no clue who that would be... *looks all sinnocent and stuff* Some library books I had on hold dropped at the same time. One is billed as erotic romance, but it sounded intriguing--club owner expanding, builder/decorator arrives for meeting, they hit it off, things progress, his ex drops a kid off. I'm curious how the author handles the kid. I haven't read past the first chapter. The other library book that dropped is WRAITH by Helen Harper. It's fantasy/paranormal with an element of romance. It's set around Sterling, Scotland--city and castle. There are goblins, dark elves, and humans. I got the audio book and the first few chapters were a bit of a slog due to wordage and world building that probably wouldn't have been a slog if I was reading rather than listening. I'm 11 chapters in and it's pretty interesting. I also finished a paranormal romance by J.T. Geissinger. Justine Eyre was teh narrator and she's a favorite. A different take on panther shiftes. I'll be looking into the rest of the series. The books appear to be "free" (reading AND listening) on Kindle Unlimited. Gonna get my subscription fee's worth this month.

    On the menu is getting back on my writing horse. That thing keeps running back into the barn and hiding. Gotta get in gear or I won't be publishing anything until 2019. *sigh* Plus, I have some volunteer stuff for OKRWA to do. I took the NRCA back for this year. Yippee. ... Not. Oh well.

    Okay, off to watch some more football. And maybe a nap. Naps are good. It's drizzly and cloudy here, after an earlier rain. Good weather for it. Later, tater. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have some interesting things to read this week. Yay!

      Yep, gotta get back on that horse. Me, too. Or I won't be publishing anything in 2019. And I don't even have all the stuffs you're involved in.

      Naps are good. And rain. I got my nap, but no rain yesterday. Just heat. Blerg.

      Delete