Saturday, July 28, 2018

Saturday Reading Wrap-Up - 6/28/18

Hello again.  Here's what I read this past week.

48) Dead Wizard's Loot by DJ Salisbury (7/26/18) - Fantasy* - 5 stars.  Not new to me, but definitely underappreciated.
Review: " This picks up where the Mindbender's Rise series left off! Yay! There's Viper, of course. And Baby Bear (I'm not going to even try to spell her real name - if you read the first series, you know who I'm talking about). And a little bit of Lorel. And a couple old friends are there, too. Plus, there's a whole new group of characters that are totally awesome. No spoilers, but when that one thing happened... :sob: And the end... :sniffle:

I can't wait to see what's in store next."

And now I think I'm caught up on Deb's books, so she really needs to write more.  


47) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (7/21/18)- Romantic Suspense - 4 stars.  I'd never read this before, but I've read other du Maurier novels.  And no, it's not underappreciated.  This was part of my neverending goal to read certain classics. 
Review: "I'm going to say something I almost never say. I liked the movie better. The book drags a little near the beginning, the heroine is a too much of a limp dishrag for me, and the end? Well, it just stops cold. Still, an interesting book that held my interest all the way through, so even if I hadn't seen the movie, I would've finished the book."
So, even though this one didn't thrill me as much as her other novels, I still gave it four stars because it is well written.  

---------
Since I am working on writing a book right now, I'm reading at a slower pace than I was.  Stuff happens.  I'm still ahead on my goal, though, so it's all good.  Last night I started reading The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. 

Read anything good last week?  How are you doing on your goals for the year?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The next one is toddling along. :-)

    I'd give Rebecca 3-stars. It put me to sleep. I can't figure out why it became so famous. I only finished it *because* it has such a stellar reputation, and I hoped it would get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read REBECCA years ago. I think I have a hard-back copy in the library somewhere--a present from my dad. I finished up my re-listen to the Rock Chick series by Kristen Ashley and rolled over into her Choas MC series because the newest book releases Tuesday and I wanted a refresher before listening to it. Ashley's books are problematic for some and catnip for others. I laugh (and sniffle occasionally) when I read them. Not sure I want to make the RC books a yearly thing but they're set in Denver and since I was there for a week, I wanted the "experience." LOL

    I have 15K words to write this weekend. I won't be reading/listening much. As for my goals, I'm 32 books ahead of schedule. It's been that kind of year. ;)

    ReplyDelete