Sunday, August 15, 2010

Recipe Sunday

Just a quickie recipe today, but a good one.  Since it's late summer and the height of the sweet corn season, I thought what a perfect day to post this recipe. It's especially handy for those of us who are grill-challenged.

Oven-roasted Sweet Corn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cover a large baking sheet with foil (to aid clean-up).  Place a single layer of unshucked whole cob corn on a baking sheet (three seemed to fit perfectly here).  Bake for 30-45 minutes or until husk is hot to the touch.  Shuck and eat.

The husk keeps the moisture in and adds something to the flavor that was quite nice.   Still, the hard part of this recipe is shucking hot corn.  The way I did it was like this...  Leave the corn on the sheet and peel the outer most leaf down.  Repeat with each outer leaf (rolling the corn as you go) until they're all at the bottom of the cob like a hula skirt.  Use a pair of scissors to cut the hula skirt down to a mini-skirt.  Serve with butter and salt to taste.

It worked out beautifully here.  I hope it works for you, too.  Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.  =o)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting technique, B.E., but I won't be trying it (sorry). I found an awesome way to cook corn about two years ago and I will never go back to boiling water, BBQing, whatever.

    Shuck corn, silk tassles and all. Wrap each in a square of wax paper. Microwave on high for 2 minutes/corn. Done! Butter and salt to taste. It's moist (so much, that I now forego butter) and you can do it at the last minute ensuring your corn is hot when supper's ready.

    Mmmm, hungry for corn now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I'm going to have to try that. Hey, I'm all about easy and good. =o)

    ReplyDelete