Saturday, July 17, 2021

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 7/17/21

Well, hello there.  Nice to see you again.  This hasn't exactly been an exciting week in reading, but here goes nuthin'.

I picked up 4 new ebooks this week - 2 suspense, a paranormal mystery, and a cozy mystery.  Which is a good thing since I got through all my unread ebooks.  No new hardcopies again.

Books Read:

48) Queen of Klutz by Samantha Garman (7/10/21) - Romantic Comedy* - 5 stars.  Not new to me or underappreciated.  Free off the ENT newsletter.  
Review: "
Super cute!"

DNFs:

7/10/21 - free - suspense.  The beginning was very romantic-comedy-esque, beginning at a wedding with people running around, getting dressed, and joking.  No suspense feel at all.  And the author named like 30 characters in the first couple pages.  There's no way all those people are going to be crucial to the story, so why give them names?  No one needs to know about Great Uncle Herb (not a real name) unless he's going to die horribly by the end of the chapter.  I quit before I found out if Great Uncle Herb was murdered because by then I didn't care.

Currently reading... Well, herein lies the rub.  I started edit-reading my latest manuscript and I haven't really been keen on reading anything else.  We'll see if that changes, because if it doesn't next week's reading wrap-up is going to be BOR-RING.  

What were you up to reading-wise last week?  Anything good on the horizon?

2 comments:

  1. Edit-reading makes up for a boring read-report!

    I discovered a new SF writer I enjoy: Linnea Sinclair (I think; the book is now in Mom's stack.)
    I should have DNF'd a viking fantasy, but finished it out of habit. Not bad, but not good, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an okay reading week. I did add 2 new books to my list and started a semi-marathon of a fave series. I'm at 110 books of my GR challenge of 200, 2 books ahead of schedule and 3 books finished this week.

    110 - Allegiance of Honor (Psy-Changeling, #15) Nalini Singh, Paranormal romance, 5 stars, not unknown or underappreciated. This is the "last" book in her Psy-Changeling series before she spins off the Trinity series set in the same world. This is a re-listen.

    109 - Dream Spinner (Dream Team, #3) Kristen Ashley, Contemporary romance, 3 stars. Not unknonw/no unappreciated. I liked the book okay. It just didn't wow me. I think there is one more book in this particular spin-off. I didn't buy this one, I waited on it from the library.

    108 - Capture the Crown: A Novel (Crown of Shards/Gargoyle Queen double series) - Jennifer Estep. Fantasy. 5 stars. Not unknown, was under-appreciated at the time but only because it's a new release. I've listed every book in this series on my best-book-of-the-year shelf at GR. Estep is a masterful storyteller and worldbuilder. This "new" spin-off is bascially 2nd gen, the action occuring 16 years after the events in the book 3. I highly recommend this series to anyone who loves fantasy with a touch of romance.

    Currently listening to SILVER SILENCE by Nalini Singh. This is my favorite book in all her series. Her bears are...BEARS! The newest release arrives Tuesday and it's an auto-buy for me, though I probably won't be done with the re-listen by then. Just something special to look forward to!

    Good luck with the edits, and I hope you find something to satisfy the reader in you. Happy reading, all!

    ReplyDelete