Thursday, February 7, 2019

Thursday This n That

This is as warm as it's going to get today.  From here, the temperature drops.  I hate it when that happens.

I have an urge to make bread.  But not just any bread - interesting bread.  I have a couple recipes that look promising.  One is focaccia. The other is an Italian herb bread.  We'll see.

Spellcheck wanted me to replace focaccia with Iaccoca.  How long ago was he even famous enough to be a word in spellcheck?  I'd bet most people under a certain age don't even know who that was.  Huh, google says he's still alive.  Whoda thunk it?  As an aside, I'm not a fan of Chrysler.  I had one once.  Can't remember the model - it was an obscure one.  Biggest piece of crap I ever drove - followed closely by the Oldsmobile Achieva.  Don't get me started on that one.

I really need to paint new letters on my keyboard.  But if I paint new letters on it, I'll have to wait for it to dry before I can use it.  Not sure I can wait that long.  I should do it right before I go do something else for a while.  Yeah.  That sounds smart.

My spice rack is horribly out of date and most of the letters have rubbed off that, too.  I started a relabeling project last year.  Umm...  One of the containers has no letters at all and I don't remember what was in it.  Can't tell by the smell.  Time to toss it and start over. I learned the hard way not to put onion powder in my spice rack.  It turned into one big cylindrical brick.  I guess it has to stay in the container I buy it in.  By the way, who the hell uses Coriander? And why does it come standard with every spice rack?

I don't understand crate training for dogs.  None of the dogs I've ever had were crate trained and they seemed fine.  Happy.  Chill.  Our family dog would wander the house at night, checking on us all, then he'd pick a bed to sleep by.  By day, when we were all at school or work, he would protect the house.  Never had one break in while he was alive.  After he passed, the house was robbed.  Coincidence?  Don't think so.  It was the same with my two dogs when I had my own home.  Okay, so one time the Rott-n-Lab chewed up my cell phone while I was sleeping (and I awakened to the sounds of crunching), but hey, stuff happens.

Well, that's enough out of me for one day.  What kinds of this n that are on your radar today?

3 comments:

  1. re: One is focaccia. The other is an Italian herb bread.
    What time do you want me to stop over? :)

    If you do a lot of labeling you can invest in a label maker. The last time I saw them they were about $20. Or you can do what I do and write the name out on a piece of tape. Not quite as elegant, and it would be tedious to do for a keyboard.

    re: crate training
    I teach crate training to puppies for 'just in case'. It's good for those times when someone needs to be confined because of surgery or when I can't watch chewy puppies.

    I don't keep them there though. It's just training. Because of Iko's severe injuries we brought the crate back out and put it in the kitchen/breakfast room. He'd go in and sleep there and watch me work. The door was never locked. It just felt safe for him.

    But to get back on topic, I don't think it's a good idea to lock a mature dog in a crate. That's just silly.

    re: coriander
    Ah! It's my go to spice for Mexican and Chinese cooking. I prefer it crushed and not whole though. It's better whole because when you crush it the flavor is more intense, but I'm lazy. You can add crushed coriander to focaccia bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After last night's huge load of dishes, I decided to take a break from baking. Sorry, Maria. ;o)

      I don't do a lot of labeling. Just the spice rack and I'm hand writing those. Definitely not for the keyboard.

      Now, I can see that for crate training. But yeah, not for other times.

      Ah. That explains why I don't use coriander. When I do either Mexican or Chinese, I use pre-made seasoning packets. How's that for lazy? LOL

      Delete
  2. It IS Thursday, isn't it? How'd that happen?

    We woke up to a "flash ice storm." Thunderstorm came through about midnight, followed by artic temps and north wind. All the roads, bridges, and overpasses were coated in at least 1/2 inch of ice. They closed all the schools. Smart.

    It's still freaking cold. The roads are driveable now and I need to get out. At least Drover stays in the garage so he isn't too cold to start with and just to say, heated seats!

    I need to clean my spice rack out, too. The stuff I use often gets replaced. Other stuff? Not so much. I have bay leaves in there that are probably 10 years old. They probably taste like paper.

    I also need to clean out my pantry. There's stuff in there that probably older than 10 years. Not that I'm a hoarder. Just, people give us stuff, we don't use it, or our tastes change and it sits there on a shelf out of sight and out of mind.

    Chili for dinner.

    And...that's it for me. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete