Saturday, June 2, 2018

New-to-Me Authors Reading Update

Hey all,

It occurred to me that I had intended to do updates on the new-to-me authors' books I read.  So, now that I've remembered, here's how that's going this year:

Sherlock Holmes and the Cult of Cthulhu by James G. Boswell (3/17/18) - Mystery - 5-stars.  Review:  "I've been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since I was a kid, and I usually view fiction like this with a suspicious eye. But the premise was intriguing, so I gave it a whirl. It was worth every penny. Brought me back to my love of Holmes but had a new spin all its own. So much fun. I inhaled it in a day."

Murder on Aisle Three by Megan Rivers (4/21/18) - Mystery - 4-stars.  No review.

The Convenient Cadaver by Matt Ferraz (5/12/18) - Mystery - 5-stars.  Review: "I picked this up on a whim, thinking it was going to be similar to the other 'granny mysteries' I've read in the past. In a way, it was, but it wasn't quite as light. And for this book, different was a good thing. It kept me totally engrossed, so much that I inhaled it in less than 24 hrs. Grandma Bertha is a sharp old gal. The dogs are cool, but don't play that major a part. I wanted to poke the son and daughter-in-law in the head. In the end, though, it all worked out and made me smile."

A Grave Mistake by Alexander Tarler (5/26/18) - Fantasy - 5-stars.  Review:  " Okay, so I'm rounding up from 4.75. It would've been a straight 5, but the end... GAH! Anyway, this book was loads of fun to read. It had some typo issues but nothing that marred the story or pulled me out so much I wanted to throw my Kindle at the wall. I'm all about the story. And this was a good one.

Exceptional premise, btw. A guy who falls bass-ackwards into raising his whole family from the dead and then has to find a way to protect them and himself from a gang of morons who want to see him destroyed? All he wants it to live peacefully with his undead family members. But nope. Not gonna happen.

That's good stuff there. Wish I'd have thought of it."


The Blunt End of the Service by LJ Simpson (5/28/18) - SF - 5-stars.  Review:  " Rollicking good space fun. Can't wait to read the next book"  (Note: I did, in fact, buy the next book as soon as I'd finished this one.)

Five new-to-me, underappreciated books in five months, so I'm on target with my goal of reading one a month." 

I've also read a couple new-to-me authors who aren't underappreciated.  

 The Unexpected Enlightenment of Rachel Griffin by L. Jagi Lamplighter (3/4/18) - YA Fantasy - 4-stars.  Review:  "I had a tough time getting into this book, but I finally did and it was a lot of fun. Then it sort of just ended. Not much in the way of denouement and I kind of like some denouement. Your mileage may vary.

I think part of my problem getting into this book was my brain kept drawing comparisons to another book about a kid who goes off for his first year at a magical school. :shrug: All in all, it was an enjoyable read, though."


 The Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore (4/14/18) - MG Adventure - 5-stars. No review.  I'm not sure why I didn't review this one.  I certainly enjoyed it and I remember I liked it enough that I probably should've written a review, but I got lazy, I think. 


And there was one book that would probably qualify as both new-to-me and underappreciated, but it's an older romance (1997) I picked up at the thrift store, and I'm not sure acknowledgement by me would even be helpful at this point.

Where There's Smoke... by Laura Abbot (5/19/18) - Romance - 5-stars.  Review: "Cute story. Fun read. I was about ready to slap that kid, but she turned out okay - naturally. And it all worked out in the end, like a romance should. Yay!"

And that's it for now. I have several other qualifying books waiting on my Kindle, so there's hope for the rest of the year.  And, of course, I'm finding new books all the time.  

Have you read any new-to-you, underappreciated authors this year?  If you have, tell me about them.  Either way, I hope you'll give these books a whirl.


2 comments:

  1. You've been busy! I should add some of these to my reading list but...yeah. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of new names to watch for. Thanks! They'll hit the used bookstore eventually, I hope. Or I'll break down and get an ereader. :-)

    ReplyDelete