Sunday, June 11, 2017

Sunday Update - Week 23

Hello again.  I'm kind of mush for brains right now, but let's see what I can rebuild from last week.

I did some writerly stuff.  Still not willing to talk about it.  It's like trying to approach a deer.  Don't make any sudden movements or it'll run away.

I read 5 books last week.  Three mysteries, a paranormal suspense, and an old western.  The paranormal suspense was Silver James' latest Nightrider novel - Night Fire.  So much awesome.  One of the mysteries was a newer novel by Laura Bradford - Death in Advertising.  The other two mysteries were part of 'The Cat Who' series.  And the old western was a Zane Grey.

I made my own suet.  Here's the recipe...


1 1/2c shortening
3/4c peanut butter
1T honey

Let the shortening melt on low.  When it's clear, add the PB and stir until well incorporated. Stir in honey.  Turn up the heat until the mixture just boils then take it off the heat and let it set.  Meanwhile, in a big heat resistant bowl, mix together...

1 1/2c corn meal
1/3c chopped nut topping
1/3c raisins
1/2c flour
1 c sunflower seeds (bird feed quality)
1c chopped corn feed

When the wet mixture is still pretty warm, but not boiling hot, dump it into the dry mixture.  Stir thoroughly.  Pour into suet molds (I saved all the store bought ones and washed them out so I'd have molds to dump my homemade into.).  Should fill 3 store bought plastic thingies.  Put them on a tray and slide them into the freezer.  Once they're frozen, slide them into a big baggie and use them straight from the freezer.  Birds don't care if it's frozen.  But here's the kicker, once they warm up, they keep their shape and don't fall apart all over the porch underneath the feeder.  (Which is what happened with the last two batches of suet I made.  The first batch was too dry and it crumbled all over, the second batch was too wet and it splopped all over.) Although, they do get a little gooey above 80F.

If your suet seems too runny, add in some more flour.  If it seems too dry, up the amount of shortening.  (You can mix more in without boiling it.  The boiling helps get rid of the air in it and helps it harden, though, so not too much more pre-boiled.)  Play with it.  Add in cranberries instead of raisins.  Or wild bird seed mix instead of sunflower seeds.  You could even get fancy and buy dried mealworms to add in.  Just remember as with all recipes, if you delete a dry ingredient, add in another dry ingredient to keep the balance.  And remember, as with all recipes, your mileage may vary.

The deer are starting to fawn.  Some of them look post-pregnant, some of them are still fat-pregnant.

Well, I think that's it for me right now.  I have to get my buns in gear and hit the Wallyworld before it gets too busy and the temps get too hot.  What's up in your world?

2 comments:

  1. Yay for incoming fawns!

    And (a whispered) yay for any and all writing stuff!

    I've completely lost track of what work count progress I've posted here, so I'm changing things up. I've completed 63 pages of WC, first and second drafts combined. I do rolling edits - when I can't get started, I go back a few pages and edit them, so when I get to a blank page, I'm ready to start writing.

    Oh, I also added a page to MC (#6) to make it match new stuff in WC. One advantage to holding off a release until the next in the series is finished. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hid all weekend. And I'm hiding today. Yeah...got the mehs. Need to get over them. Yay for fawns! I saw fledglings yesterday getting fed by mom from the bird feeder. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete