Thursday, November 14, 2013

Why I Didn't Write Last Night

Yesterday, Hubs and I looked at each other and decided to go rake leaves.  Now, we have an acre and a quarter of land - about a third of which is yard.  This land is what the realtors call a 'treed lot'.  I figured it out and there are 28 trees in the yard - oaks, walnuts, hickory, sycamore and the cedars (which are my favorites right now because they don't drop leaves).  Lots of trees = lots of leaves. 

We started about 1pm with the idea that we would take it leisurely.  We'd spread the raking over the course of 3-4 days.  Yeah, like that was going to work.  We're not the kind of people who do jobs as half-measures.  Soooo, we got slammin' and jammin'. 

Early on it was decided that we wouldn't make piles here and there to cart with the wheelbarrow.  No, we were going to rake the piles down toward the back.   You know, to make it easier... heh.

By 3:15 we could rake no more.  Here's the result:

(Taken from our back sunroom, looking down at the piles.  From this vantage, they actually look kinda small, but trust me, they aren't.)

We're maybe half done.  Still have to do the south side and the back, plus cart all those leaves into the woods.  

Needless to say, I was bushed.  I did nothing for the rest of the afternoon and evening.  Dinner was slapped together grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.  The only thing I did after the raking was read. 

Today?  Well, the rest of the leaves aren't going to rake themselves.  But I'll try to take it easier because this book ain't gonna write itself either. 

Did you write yesterday?  If not, what's your excuse?

6 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a lot of leaves. But what a beautiful space. Have you thought of composting them? I read somewhere that you can do this in a free standing pile, no composter needed, as long as it remains moist and you have a huge, huge pile of leaves. Maybe close to the woods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karyn. We don't need compost, so we're just pushing them into the woods and spreading them around. They can fertilize the forest. ;o)

      Delete
  2. Coffee with CP. Bank. Bank again (I forgot the underlying paperwork I needed). Library. Headache. Driving around looking for inspiration. Did I mention the headache? And drippy nose and cough? Yeah. I'm writing today. Period. Well, as soon as I drop in on all my friends to visit.... *looks shifty-eyed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a busy day, Silver. And all that with a cold, too. Take care of yourself. :hugs: Thanks for stopping by. =o)

      Delete
  3. OK - I'm really not happy with Blogger not showing your blog updates in a timely manner. Here I am, finally! Wow, lots of leaves. We, too, live on about an acre and 3/4s - the majority being trees. But the good folks who built made the yard smack dab in the middle, no tree - so we are surrounded (and I mean surrounded) by forest (quite thick, too). The leaves fall on the forest floor and we only have a bit to rake back into the forest from the edges. A great system because raking leaves is HARD WORK!!

    Writing? We're supposed to be writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Blogger is being a turd to you, Janet. Sounds like you have a good plan for your leaves. We finally got those darned piles shoved back into the woods here.

      Yeah, we're supposed to be writing. Which I need to get to. Later. Eventually. ;o)

      Delete