Saturday, November 9, 2013

NaNo Update #1

Okay, so despite my grousing and the occasional comment that I may be insane, this year's NaNoWriMo is actually going well.  Here's how the first week broke down:

11/1 - 2735
11/2 - 2556
11/3 - 1183
11/4 - 1491
11/5 - 1014
11/6 - 2515
11/7 - 2136

Which left me at 13360 for the first week with an average of 1947 a day.  Since I needed to be at 11669 and average 1667 a day, I'm pretty pleased.  Getting ahead early really takes the pressure off.  And I'm proving to myself how committed I am to this project by not sitting back on my ass when I'm ahead.  Not that I haven't wanted to.  Thursday I felt like warmed-over, leftover goat excrement for most of the day. 

As an added bonus, I'm getting a lot done around the house because I'm trying to make myself stick to the schedule of writing at night.  So when I feel the urge to write in the morning, I go do chores.  Sure, I could be farther ahead.  I could also be burned to a crisp right now and dreading the weeks ahead.  Slow and steady wins the race.  You won't catch me so far ahead I'm napping under a tree while the tortoise crosses the finish line.  No sirree bob.

With yesterday's additional 2222 words (totally didn't plan to hit the all 2s, but hey, cool), I'm sitting at 15852 NaNo words for this project.  That puts me 2516 words ahead. 

Not sure what the weekend will bring.  I might write during the day on weekends... or not.  We'll see how it goes.  I do know as soon as it warms up, I'm going outside to rake leaves.  I love our new big, treed yard, but having it means a lot of leaves on the ground right now.  ;o)

How's the writing going for you?  Are you participating in NaNo (and if so, are we friends on there)?  If you're not, that's cool, too.  NaNo's not for everyone.  Hell, I haven't officially done it since 2010.  If you're not writing, how's life in general? 

7 comments:

  1. I, too, am ahead-- and not taking it easy. I know from past experience if I skip a day it's that much harder to get back to it. Plus, who knows when the muse might die on me, or whether I'll have a day of my own where I feel like goat excrement?

    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Kerrie! Oh, I hear that. It's so much easier to maintain momentum if you just keep going. Here's hoping no goat days for you. =o)

      Delete
  2. I'm ahead but you know why. ;) I hope to finish up the 1st 25K this weekend with a day to edit before it goes to my editor and then on to the next two projects. So glad you are motivated and the words are flowing this year, B.E.! This sounds like a great project and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rock, Silver. You'll get it done. Thanks. I hope when it gets done, it's worth reading. LOL

      Delete
  3. No NaNo for me, but I did finally figure out HOW to fix a project my editor can be happy with (and maybe want to publish it) and got it all fixed (I hope), so that's one big positive. One more read through for me and then my daughter will look it over and then I e-mail it to my editor. THEN I can get back into my WIP. If I can finish the first draft before Christmas, I'll be one happy camper!

    Saw the pictures of your path on Facebook. Is that all on your property? That's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for finding the fix! I hope your editor is happy with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that and for you getting the other one before Christmas!

      Yep. That's all on our little acre and a quarter. The pics show about 100 feet worth of path - that runs in a diagonal. Next, I need to cut back the other way so I don't go on the neighbor's property. I also did a side path to the brush pile. Hubs did the heavy lifting of downed trees for me. =o)

      Delete
  4. Rock on!!! Last we talked you weren't gonna do it. So excited for you!! I need to get my edit on in a big way for my latest WIP.

    ReplyDelete