Friday, January 25, 2013

This and That

In case you missed the announcement at The Unpublished Writers' Guide to Survival (or you missed it over at Alexia Chamberlynn's blog), some people having a Twitter pitch party where you use the hashtag #pitmad* and tweet your pitches.  After which, I assume, anyone who likes your pitch will get in touch with you.  Personally, the idea scares the bejeebers out of me.

In other news, I had submissions out to three publishers.  The two for Dying Embers have... well... died.  As far as I can tell, Djinnocide is still alive at Harper Voyager.  Just as well, I guess, since I'm going to be a busy beaver soon.  (And that's the story I'm sticking with - like Aesop's fox who didn't want those sour grapes anyway.)

The reality of it, though, is that no matter how busy I think I'm going to be, I'll always have time to work.  (Or, if there's a contract involved, I'll make the time to work.)  My problem, though, is right now I'm thoroughly unmotivated.  I don't have anything driving me to get writing done.  Yeah, it's there.  And yeah, I still love it.  But no, it's not motivating me on its own.  Must be the Mid-winter Malaise has me in its dastardly clutches.

If you need postage, buy 'forever stamps' TODAY.  Stamps go up by a penny over the weekend, and if you get the 'forever stamps', they still work for the higher rate.  Who knows what the freight rates will be.  :shrug:  Last year they went up like 8 cents for the lowest cost Media Mail package.  Bleh.  I know it's only 8 cents, but they're nickel-n-diming me to death.

What's going on in your world?  Any this or that to share?

*corrected after Janet pointed out I had it wrong.  D'oh.

5 comments:

  1. FYI - I understood the hashtag to be #pitmad - there's lots happening over on the Twitterverse with that hashtag, B.E.

    You know I have my fingers crossed for you with Harper - saw on FB that they had supposedly sent out first rounds of rejections and you're still there. I know you'll find the time and motivation if that baby comes home :)

    Winter motivation - oxymoron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet! I totally brainfarted out there. It's fixed now. And thanks for keeping your fingers crossed. =o)

    LOL, yep. Total oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all go through periods where our motivation isn't where we'd like it to be. (And cold, gray winter days certainly don't help!)

    Did you follow-up on Embers? Or was it a "no response means no" submission. (I HATE those!)

    I think Sleeping Ugly is a fabulous concept. I'M excited about it....I hope you will be again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, Unknown. The winter kills my motivation almost every year. I didn't have to follow up on Embers - they were very prompt with their rejections. ;o) Thanks for being excited about Sleeping Ugly. I'm still excited about the story - just not excited about sitting down to actually write it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crossing my fingers for you with Harper. I reeeeeally hope you get good news!

    And if you need motivation, give me your number. I will hound you until you want to throttle me through the phone ;) Muah hahahahahah! =P

    Thanks for the stamps info. Unfortunately, it just started snowing here again, so all of Virginia has shut down. *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete