Saturday, June 12, 2021

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 6/12/21

Well, hello there.  Welcome to the Saturday Reading Wrap-up.

No new books of any kind this week.  I need to rectify that, especially since I knocked a few books off my Kindle this week.  I do still have 2 unread ebooks, though - UF and SF.  And, as always, scads of hardcopies to read.

Books Read:

41) Longshot by Blake & Truant (6/11/21) - SF*# - 4 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the Book Doggy newsletter.
Review: "Interesting and definitely different. Not what I expected when I began it, but it kept me flipping through the pages quickly, adjusting my preconceived notions as I went. I wish I'd known this was a prequel type story with a long series after it before I began. Worth the read, but I don't have the time or the patience for a long series right now. If you do, you'll probably be in for a wild ride."

40) The Silent Speaker by Rex Stout (6/8/21) - Crime Noir - 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  Got this in that box lot.
Review: "
I had a little trouble getting into this one at first, but once I settled in, it was a helluva story."

39) Ghosts & the Ancient Stones by Silver James (6/6/21) - Paranormal Romantic Suspense* - 5 stars.  Not new to me, but a new release so it's definitely not appreciated nearly enough yet.  This a series I love and an author I fangirl over who's also a friend of mine, so I paid full price - $4.99.
Review: "
This book is wicked awesome! From start to finish. And may be Ms. James' best work yet. Sade and Sinjen and all their favorite friends/frenemies are in fine form. The romance and the tension between Sade and Sinjen is delicious. The plot is enthralling. The premise is wonderful. I loved it all. Then again, I love all of the Penumbra Papers books."

DNFs:

6/9/21 - free - paranormal something.  A little banter goes a long-long way.  This was banter to the max with a side order of snide.  I don't need that.

6/9/21 - free - romance.  Gah, so many adjectives telling me how everything is.   And I don't really care about every stitch of clothes everyone is wearing and every item of furniture they own.  Not his dark blue jeans, his faded team baseball shirt, his scuffed boots, his cowboy hat...  Not the red silk sheets against her milky white skin on the black lacquer bed.  Dude just walked in his woman with another man in his bed.  I don't think he cares about the vivid descriptions of his furniture and neither do I.  The scene had the emotional impact of a bowl of plain, cold oatmeal.

Currently reading...  I finished that SF not long before bed last night, so I didn't have time to start something else.  Maybe I'll pick up a Zane Grey today.

What was on your reading list this week?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooooo much for the good words. You know how I feel about GHOSTS. Hope you discover something good to read this week. I'm at 88 books on my GR challenge and back on track, thanks to a few novellas. I hit 6 books this week. Still in the marathon Thea Harrison Elder Races series re-listen. I did hit the end, mostly of the Dragos/Pia cycle and moved into a spin-off trilogy.

    88 - Planet Dragos #9.8 - 4 stars: Stuff happens. Pia gets lost and found and two new characters hit the scene. This is sort of the end except there's a duology that follows Pia and Dragos into the next phase of their lives. Haven't read the first of those yet. It ends in a cliffhanger and nope.

    87 - Liam Takes Manhatten #9.5 - 4 stars: Liam's all grown up, if only a year old, technically. Silly dragon genes. Anyway, it's a sweet sort of Christmas story that's softer than the book it follows.

    86 - Shadow's End #9 - 5 stars: This one always makes me cry. Love interrupted, loss, family. It has the feels.

    85 - Pia Does Hollywood #8.6 - 5 stars: Zombies! In Hollywood! It's a fun one.

    84 - Dragos Goes to Washington #8.5 - 5 stars: Human governement and the Elder Races are having problems. A murder at a state dinner at the Wyr "Embassy"? Oops. It was fun too.

    83 - Midnight's Kiss #8 - 5 stars: King of the Nightkind (he's a vampire) and the heir to the Light Fae throne. What can go wrong? Well, a previous affair turned sour by betrayal, a kidnapping and a demand that Julian trade himself for Mellie. I love a good second-chance story. LOL

    Currently listening to MOONSHADOW (Moonshadow #1), about the war between the "other" Light Fae Queen and the Dark Fae King. Psst. There's two Light Fae courts--twin sisters. The evil one rules the European Fae, the good one reigns in Los Angeles. There are characters who've popped up in previous books but this is a new story arc and one I like quite a bit. I'm glad I decided on this marathon.

    Happy reading, all!

    ReplyDelete