Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sunday Update - Week 1

The first week of the new year.  Yay!

Tuesday night, I gave myself a stern talking to.  If anything's gonna change around here, it has to start with me.  (Writing-wise and personal to me stuff.)  These aren't resolutions, per se, but a new resolve for the new year.  I talked about it Friday.

Anyway, the new resolve has gotten me working again.  Both Wednesday and Thursday nights, I worked on editing Ugly and the Beast.  Only an hour worth each time, but better than not.  I wrote a new ending for it on Thursday night.  Friday night, I wrote a new beginning for Cinder Ugly.  Not sure if I'll keep it.  I let it stew last night and made some notes.  I'll get back after it today or I won't and I'll go back to the drawing board.  Plus, I still have the old stuff for both the end of UatB and the beginning of CU, so I can always go back.

I'm also in debates with myself as to whether to hold UatB until I can afford an editor or just run with it on my own - you know, after I have some friends read it to make sure nothing's really tragic in the writing.  The thought sends me into tiny panic attacks.  I've never considered not having my editor edit stuff.  Then again, I never thought I'd be in this position where I have to push back publication dates because I don't have the money to pay an editor.  And to be perfectly clear, I'd rather she edit my books than not because she's awesome.  Again, still debating the idea internally.  Just letting y'all know what's going on.

I have no marketing plan for 2020.  Write books, edit books, see what happens.

In reading news, I met my Goodreads goal on Sunday, so I spent the rest of 2019 reading a bigger paperback.  I finished that one last night - the first book read of 2020.

At some point, Hubs ran out of both cookies and granola bars, so I spent a day making batches of both of those.  No other baking occurred and the dining was mostly leftover turkey in various forms.

In personal goal news, my 'don't want to? do it anyway' thing seems to be working.  I've accomplished a lot of stuff that's been on my to-do radar for eons.  Like painting new letters on my keyboard.  (Note: my fine motor skills are shot, so the keyboard looks kinda psychotic but I can see where the letters are now.) (Note2: It's already rubbing off, so that idea blew chunks, but hey, I tried it.)  I also backed up my computer - twice.  One for home, one for the safe deposit box.  I got all the filing done I'd been putting off for months and I archived the old crap in the files to make more room.  I took furniture polish to the kitchen cabinets - they've been driving me nuts for months, too.  I dusted and vacuumed.  I moved my SF and my crime books around.  I sorted my 2019 receipts so they're ready for tax time.  Cleaned my bathroom.  Let's just say it's been a busy start to the year.

I also got in some woods work.  I really need to find a way to reduce the brush piles without renting or buying a chipper.  Those things are getting huge.  They'd make one hell of a bonfire if we were interested in burning them. 

So, how was your first week of the new year?

2 comments:

  1. It was a week. I finaled the blurb (thank you very much!) for the Feb. release, plus located photos and lines for teasers the graphic artist is putting together (I gotta sella ton of this book to recoup my expenses!) plus some pics for the trailer on of the authors in the series put together. I need to add a bit to one scene, do my reader letter and back matter stuffs and then I'm done. On to the next project. At the moment, I'm leaning toward MOONSTRUCK: BETRAYAL. That involves rereads, edits, and a bit of new writing. I also take those wide so I don't get a bump from Amazon but considering how poorly I'm doing at Amazon at the moment... 🤷 (that's the shrug emoji.) We'll see once I dump FIGHTING FOR ELENA on Susan's PA, who does formatting and uploads for all the books in Susan's worlds.

    I emptied the dog pool and dug out the manhole cover in the back yard. I hope the city guys haven't been by yet while I wasn't home because they'd never have found it.

    I keep hoping 2020 is going to feel different. So far, not so much but I'm remaining optimistic. Possibilities. Right? Right!

    That's pretty much my week. Stormageddon is mine tomorrow. Dad's back in school, Stormy doesn't go back until Tuesday. Yippee. Won't get much done. Ah well.

    On that note, I should probably get off the net and get some stuff done today to compensate. Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got a lot done!

    I got a big wholesale order, so I'm been folding my fingers off. (Lost my brains loooong ago. ;-) )

    I did get a couple of illustrations cleaned up, and a few new words, so I didn't flake out completely, book-wise. But now all of my packages are ready for the mail (almost, better go finish that). Tomorrow I'll be back to work!

    ReplyDelete