Saturday, April 20, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 4/20/19

Hello again and welcome to another week of reading.

I was bored, so I went through the newsletters Thursday morning and picked up a bunch of free ebooks.  Plus, an acquaintance I trust mentioned a new release SF, so I snagged that, too.  Four books leftover from last month and 5 new books.  Yay!  I also still have most of those Agatha Christie's to read, a couple Phyllis Whitneys and... well, scads of other hardcopy books to read.

Books Read:

31) Ready to Were (Shift Happens #1) by Robyn Peterman (4/13/19) - Paranormal Romance* - 5 stars.  New to me, but not underappreciated.  Picked up off the Freebooksy newsletter.
Review: "Loads of fun."
30) The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (4/13/19) - Mystery - 5 stars.  First time I read it, but Agatha Christie is definitely not new to me or underappreciated.  Purchased at St. Vinny's for 50c.
Review: "Agatha Christie's first book... I can't believe I'd never read this one before. Interesting to see how it all began. Definitely shows why she's the Grand Dame of Mystery."

DNFs:

4/19/19 - Paranormal Mystery.  It read more like a travelogue or the beginning of a bad romance where the author is trying to show how much research she did on the location without giving a hint of the plot.  I gave up waiting for something to happen and moved on.  Too much to read to waste time on this one.  Luckily, it was a freebie I found on Ereader News Today.

4/18/19 - Romantic Suspense.  I wanted to like this, really I did, but I found myself making excuses to not read it rather than being excited to pick it up again.  At about a third of the way through, I finally decided to read something that did excite me.  I only paid 50c for it at the thrift store and that goes to a good cause, I guess.  It'll go to St. Vinny's on my next trip.

I'm currently reading the fifth book in a cozy mystery series I hadn't read yet.  :shrug:  I didn't notice the book was #5 until after I downloaded it and I thought I'd give it a whirl.  So far, so good. 

What did you read last week?  Any keepers?  Anything you couldn't bring yourself to waste time on?

1 comment:

  1. I'm still wending my way through the BDB seriesm just starting book 11 today. Either they're getting better or I'm getting ennured to the stuff that bugs me. Also, a mix of audio and Kindle, depending on library availability. I did divert while waiting on the next in series because, dude, BDB HAS to be read in order. I grabbed a book I'd already listened to but hadn't marked it on Goodreads--Kevlar to My Vest. No. Seriously. The author's titles are awful. It was 6 hours of killing time so okay. No DNFs for me this week.

    ReplyDelete