Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Something Neat to Share

Last week, I sent out a batch of postcards to family and friends.  In it, I sent a postcard to my former physiatrist (rehabilitation physician) - because he really helped me a lot through all my brain issues and my leg issues, etc. and I thought he'd get a kick out of it.  Because I don't have his home address, I mailed it to his office with a note that said something like "I had to do it myself, but I finally did it."

Anyway, I got a short email today from one of the gals in his office, thanking me for sending the postcard and telling me she bought a copy of my book.  Which was cool in itself.  So I emailed her back thanking her. 

Her reply was really special to me.  She remembered me after all these years because I was one of the doc's success stories, and the first success story she had a part in.  She also said the doc still uses my story to encourage patients who feel like they'll never get better. 

:blush:

That totally made my day. 

Plus, she said the doc was taking the postcard home to show his wife.  :grin:  I hope he's getting a kick out of this.  I bet when he first stepped into my hospital room all those years ago, he didn't think I'd be writing books someday.

(For the record, this is, of course, not the doctor I did a memoriam for in Dying Embers.  That was for my favorite college English professor, who unfortunately passed on before I could thank him for being so damn tough on me and making me a better writer.)

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely story. Well done on all your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! AND you got a sale out f it! ;-)

    As someone who calls you friend, I'm grateful for that doctor and his team too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JB! And thanks for being my friend. :hugs:

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! I think we forget that sometimes we're remembered by doctors and staff. I'm glad you reached out to them. You made their day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! Yeah, some of them I would rather forget, but these were in the shining stars of the whole experience. I sent them a Christmas card and a letter for the 20th anniversary last year. =o)

      Delete
  4. Wow. You just made my day! What do you want to bet the doc, after he shows the postcard to his wife, brings it back to his office and uses it his pep talks? I offer even odds on that.

    Now I'm sitting here smiling. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that made your day, too, Silver. I hope he does use it. "Hey, she was as bad or worse than you. If she can do it, you can to."

      =o)

      Delete
  5. Those kinds of events make you float, don't they? I know it doesn't take much to make ME happy. (Of course, it doesn't take much to get me down, either. Hmmm...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure do, Stacy. Aww, sorry things get you down easily, too. :hugs:

      Delete
  6. How cool! You are truly a success story, all around.

    I always assume people have forgotten me, and I'm shocked when they haven't.

    My bookmark arrived last night. I love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! I'm so happy for you and am awed and inspired by your courage. You deserve the accolades.

    ReplyDelete