Monday, December 31, 2012

Point 1 and The Best Books of 2012... and Why I'm Not Telling

Okay, I totally brainfarted out over the weekend and forgot to talk about the big surprise - aka Point 1 from my post the other day.  Go over to Killer Chicks right now... then come back and read the post for today.  Oh and SQUEE!
 .
 .
 .
I don't do best books lists.  Sorry if you stopped by hoping I'd pony up with the deets.  Suffice it to say, I read 90 books in 2012 and picking out the top 5 or 10 wouldn't do justice to the other 80-85.  I read books I loved and books I didn't.  I put a few of them aside without finishing them and I won't really go into the deets about those either.

If you're interested in seeing the books I read, and the stars I gave them, head over to my Goodreads page.  I think you can get to the list by clicking that widgety thing on the right.  Most of them are 4 or 5 stars.  I think there's a three in there somewhere.

I love books.  And I read everything.  So putting together a top ten list would be like asking me which apple I liked best and then me throwing oranges and bananas into the mix.  Having said all that, though, let me tell you that I have certain authors I can't get enough of.  If you've been around long enough, you've heard me gush.  You can tell who they are by looking over my reading lists for the past few years and seeing the same names over and over.

And I have friends now that have books published, and I love all of them as much as I love all their books.

So, if you're looking for a 'best of' from me, sorry to disappoint.  And if you want a book recommendation, tell me specifically what you're looking for and I'll point you in a direction.  Want a light SF author?  Read Gini Koch's Alien series.  Want a quirky, fun mystery?  Check out JB Lynn's Hitwoman series.  Want something gritty?  Larry Correia  With monsters?  Larry Correia.  With alternate history and magic?  Larry Corre... you get the point.

Want an all-around awesome author who generally writes something having to do with the paranormal or the supernatural or the strange?  My long-standing writerly crush is on Seanan McGuire (aka Mira Grant).

But see?  Now I've gone and started naming names, which makes me wonder who I forgot, who I'm inadvertently offending, and who might be frowning right now because I didn't drop his or her name.  Which is why I don't do these lists.

Like I said - want to know what I think about the books I've read, go to Goodreads.  Or ask me privately.  But understand something else - I'm not necessarily all that objective about the books I read.  Maybe because I'm a writer.  Or maybe I'm just weird.

What about you?  Can you pick the best books you read in 2012, or are you like me and pretty much liked everything?

Oh and for those of you who didn't follow the link up there, the big surprise is that I am the newest Killer Chick.  SQUEE!  

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on becoming the newest Killer Chick =)

    I can do a top ten list--but only of each genre. However, I still won't do it, mainly because I don't feel like it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the gig over at Killer Chicks - looking forward to reading your posts over there, B.E.

    I only add a book to my Top Ten of all Time List. And it has to be an amazing book to crack the All Time List! I think when you're such an eclectic reader, it's hard to do a Best Books List (like you said, apples, bananas and oranges). But great job on the book count - that's a lot of books!

    The other point - as you said - is that if I don't like a book, I don't finish it! Too many books, not enough time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you gave most of the books you read 5 stars. I guess I'm a little more...subjective?? I don't know. Out of 86 books, I rated 36 with 5 stars. I'll have that list on my Friday blog. Couldn't rate them in order, though. No siree. Too difficult. It's like rating your kids. Can't do it.

    Congrats on being a Killer Chick. I might just have to check out that blog now.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, B.E.! I'm with you on the lists. And I sort of cheated on my Goodreads list. I kept adding to it. I was hoping to break 100 and while I actually read 100 in 2012, two of them were re-reads and didn't count in the count. LOL Next year, I'm shooting for 100. One of my resolutions is to find the time to read more, but I also have an aggressive writing/publishing schedule so we'll see. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete